Monday, August 22, 2011

"If Graffiti changed anything it would be illegal"

I was so excited to see the "Inspired by Banksy" challenge at Daring Cardmakers. If you're not familiar with Banksy, he's a graffiti artist out of Britain. His work isn't always easy to look at, but it's as powerful as any social satirist's. Be sure to check out the incredible DT & challenge projects.

My husband & I spent a nice bit looking at some of Banksy's work online, and he gave me the following suggestion for color theme: "Slightly militaristic...greens & browns...can you do a shiny black?" You know I can, Baby! 

I decided to make a card and then add the slightly satirical "graffiti". I designed the stencils in SCAL and cut them onto adhesive masking paper with my Cricut. I made the base card first, then added the stencils separately. The dog is inked with black ink (using a paper towel), then sprayed with Frost glimmer mist. The sentiment was inked the same way, but then inked again with watermark ink & heat-embossed in (shiny!) black.

The base card was inspired by Sketch n Stash. For their requirement to use "your newest or neglected stash", I pulled out my long-neglected decorative tape. Humph, that stuff isn't as easy to use as one might think! But I love it. I also pulled out this "Hello Friend" sentiment embossing folder that I haven't used since purchasing.

"Hello Friend" is dry-embossed with the Sizzix Boutique on Core'dinations paper, and sanded to bring out the sentiment.
The blue-green and brown ribbons are colored with Copics. I used the dog-shaped mask & a scrap to create the inside. I sprayed it with glimmer mist, after edging the message section with black ink.

Inspiration:
Daring Cardmakers: Inspired by Banksy
Sketch n Stash Challenge #68

Stencils: Begging Dog from Zazzle, Good Foot font by PizzaDude
Paper: Core'dinations
Tools: Fiskars papercutter, Cricut, SCAL, Marvy heat tool, Tim Holtz paper distresser & scissors, Sizzix Texture Boutique & embossing plate, Inkadinkado stamp masking paper, sandpaper, paper towel
Other: Tattered Angels glimmer chalk spray (Frost), ZipDry glue, Versamark & Memento inks, Stampendous embossing powder, decorative tape from Michael's, Offray & Celebrate It! ribbon
Copics: BG49, E47

12 comments:

  1. So unusual. The colours are so nice.

    xxx Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Love how you've decorated the inside too!
    Thanks for playing along with the daring cardmakers.
    xx Leo

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fabulous card, love the distressed look and a great take on our sketch:)

    Thank you for using my sketch and for joining us at SnS

    Sue
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....I've actually seen some of Banksy's work "in the flesh", here, in England.....grabs ya by the throat...ha!
    Your creation is a great take on this kind of graffiti....I really think the colours you went with were inspired...turned out beautifully!
    I'll look for this in the Tate Modern....ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your card is very original. I love emboss sentiment and graffiti sentiment. It's fantastic match.

    Zuz. x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card, and in true Banksy style with the stencil! Thanks for joining us at the Daring Cardmakers this week x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your original interpretation of the theme.

    Wendy -x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great for the challenge, love the colours!
    Thanks for joining in with my challenge and DCM this week!

    Samm
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card, I love the dog mask, so sweet. Thanks for sharing with us at the Daring Cardmakers this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card - I really love the colours you've used too. Thanks for joining in with The Daring Cardmakers' "Inspired by Banksy" challenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so striking and very elegant. Thanks for joining us at Sketch n Stash this time. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super card - you've captured the grafitti vibe perfectly!! Thanks for playing along with us at SNS this time around, Juliexx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.